Styling a Linen Shirt

The linen shirt is the sort of closet staple you don't know you need until you have it. My linen shirt of choice is sage green from Subtitled and a size medium, for a looser fit. In the time I've had it, it's proved to be super-wearable and the perfect thing for when my wardrobe fails me and I don't know what to wear. When those moments strike, I have four key ways to style it, and here they are.



My first outfit is perfect for transitioning from the beach to dinner on a lazy summer day. I styled up my shirt with oatmeal-coloured linen shorts, my maroon Doc Marten sandals and statement tortoiseshell earrings. If you want to bring some shape back into the ensemble, I recommend half-tucking your shirt into your shorts.  This outfit is definitely 'zookeeper chic' but I love it!


My second look is for those days when you've got errands to run but want to feel put-together and ready to take on the world. For me, this is achieved with small touches: a scarf on a bag, the fit of a good pair of jeans (mine are Dr Denim) and cute, dressy sneakers like these Windsor Smiths. But these elements are totally personal. You might prefer a pair of statement earrings, or a more relaxed pant and different shoes. But for me, it will always be scarf, jeans, sneakers.  


For my third outfit I use the shirt as a coverup over a delicate white cami with ruched detailing and a denim skirt (this one is Insight). As a cover-up, a linen shirt can work with dresses, shorts, and really any combination in your wardrobe. For me, limited-edition platform Converse also add a fun point of difference to this more neutral outfit. 


The last outfit for today is something I wear when I want to look cute but don't have enough energy to put together something new. I pair my shirt, untucked, with a denim skirt or shorts. Leaving it untucked gives the illusion of a shirtdress without having to buy anything new. I added a bit of class to my look with a GUESS bad and CDG X Converse sneakers so I felt a bit more put together, but really the options are endless.


These are only four outfits with this wonderful wardrobe staple, but the versatile colours and shapes available means that a good linen shirt can be worn day to night for nearly any occasion! 

Comments

Popular Posts